I'm going a little bit off piste here but seeing as today is National Sandwich day, I thought it was only fair to share the love. Those of you who know me well, know that I LOVE sandwiches. I even considered setting up a sandwich business before the cards and prints but luckily I changed course as I wouldn't of made any money as I would of eaten them all.
So, why do I love sandwiches so much? It's a good question. I think it's to do with the fact that they're so versatile and there are endless variations of sandwiches to create, different bread, different fillings, hot, cold, I could go on. I like to have all the textures going on within my sandwich, bit of crunch, bit of chew, something juicy and good strong flavours.
Here are my top 5 Sandwich fillings (in no particular order - it's too hard to rank them)
1. Call me controversial but I love a smoked mackerel, grated carrot, sliced cucumber, fresh chilli, mint, coriander and yoghurt. In a nice crusty baguette. YES
2. You can't go wrong with a ham and cheese toasty, well actually you can, you can go very wrong (the Costa ham + cheese toasty for example). You need to be generous on the ham and cheese, add a touch of mustard and toasted sourdough bread. DELISH.
3. A good old fresh mozzarella, sliced tomato and fresh basil in a crusty seeded baguette always goes down well. Add a splash of fresh pesto and a pinch of Malden salt for extra YUMness.
4. A banh mi is high on my top sandwiches list, made in a cheap crusty white baguette (think not too doughy, more empty). Fill said empty baguette with cooked chicken thigh, grated & pickled carrot, coriander, spicy chilli, mayonnaise and cucumber. It's SO GOOD.
5. The rolling sandwich. This sandwich got its name from they way it was made ( In the passenger seat of the car whilst the driver is hurtling down the motorway to a sunny destination in Europe.) This sandwich includes some nice French bread (if in France) some ham, some cheese, sliced tomato, lettuce, slatherings of mayonnaise and the pièce de résistance - CRISPS. I kid you not, crisps make the rolling sandwich, the king of sandwiches.
Looks like I do have a favourite after all.
I hope you enjoyed reading about my obsession for sanwiches, I'd love to hear what your favourite is?
I'm off to make one now!